What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows Tranformed!

One of my favorite things to have at Thanksgiving and around the holidays are Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows! But, we all know that these types of dishes are always laden with butter, sugar and more butter and sugar. When the kids and I came upon a recipe in New York Magazine, they begged me to make it. So, I decided to make one with a twist of my own.

Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
3 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup maple syrup
1-2 cups silk milk soy creamer
1 vanilla bean (use pods inside)
Dash of sea salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin spice (optional)
Marshmallows (I used the fat-free, gluten-free ones from Elyon)

Bake sweet potatos in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour until soft and let cool. Place the sweet potatoes and all other ingredients (except, of course, the marshmallows) into your food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a casserole dish.

Then, top with marshmallows. The "healthy" marshmallows I found only came in a large size so I cut mine in half.


When you are ready to serve the sweet potatoes, place in the oven at 350 degrees and reheat. Place the oven on broil and brown the marshmallows a bit.

My crew loved it and couldn't believe I served "dessert" for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment