What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Brussels Sprouts 2 Ways: Raw (for me) and Grilled (for the kids & hubbie!)


Who has not been stuck having to cook 2 dinners? Well, I have plenty of times! That is why I try to maximize my time and coordinate meals for me and the children if I can. So, tonight, I am going to make my Raw Brussels Sprout Salad and Grilled Kale!

When I first met my husband, he would not touch Brussels sprouts. Too many times he had been served overcooked ones growing up! One day he gave them a try and since it has become his favorite vegetable!

I have separated the directions below but I suggest that you do them both at once to save time!!!

Raw Brussels sprout salad
6-12 Brussels sprouts (depending on how much you are making)
Lemon
Olive oil
Sea salt
Optional: crushed walnuts (and, if you are not vegan, an aged Parmesan or a raw cashew cheese), sliced avocado
Also optional: drizzle of pumpkin seed oil

Clean the Brussels sprouts and thinly slice in approximately 1/8 inch strips. Place the shreds in a bowl and dress with olive oil, lemon and sea salt. And, then decorate as you would like. Sliced avocado is also good over this salad. I also love to drizzle a bit of pumpkin seed oil (Austrian's Finest Organic is my favorite.) Experiment and make it fun!
Grilled Brussels sprouts
6-12 Brussels sprouts
Olive oil
Sea salt

Clean Brussels sprouts and cut stems off. Place half of them in a casserole dish and liberally douse with olive oil and a healthy dash of sea salt. Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 20+ minutes until crispy.

Who knew with Brussels sprouts could be so delicious?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment